CVS login problem

I cut and pasted this right out of the LAG:

[hal@feenix hal]$  cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot login
 (Logging in to [email protected])
 CVS password:
 no such user cvs in CVSROOT/passwd
 cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server anoncvs.linuxdoc.org rejected access

I've tried also to get in via my new account with password. No go
either. I don't get any characters echoed to screen on login (normal I
guess), but assume my terminal is not scrambling something.

[hal@feenix hal]$ cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot login
 (Logging in to [email protected])
 CVS password:
 cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server cvs.linuxdoc.org rejected access

TIA

--
Hal B
 [email protected]